Saturday, January 22, 2011

Hayao Miyazaki i salute you...

Having spent the afternoon lounging in my room making origami stegasarus' and watching a newly acquired copy of Spirited Away (This one in English to supplement the Japanese DVD which was gifted to me by an Japanese student many years ago) I have once again been enchanted by the cinematic master that is Hayao Miyazaki. Rarely will one encounter films of such caliber as those of Miyazaki's with their beautiful imagery, quirky plot lines and at times seeming absurdity, all the while infused with the elegance and whimsy of Japanese culture. Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, My Neighbour Totoro and most recently Ponyo are all highly ranked amongst my favorite films and can not help but long, when I watch them, to slip beyond the screen into their finely constructed worlds of enchantment and impossibility. So enraptured am with my afternoons viewing I that I found it impossible to drift off to sleep without dwelling upon them here. 
Now to all a good night. 


No comments:

Post a Comment